Tuesday, May 7, 2013
The overall finished product turned out pretty nice for my first water-cooled theme PC build. It was a lot of work, a lot of time, but a great learning experience. Any modding I do in the future will seem so easy compared to this project. But it's nice to have went through the experience. It was just a shame that Star Wars: The Old Republic that I built the PC for was such a disappointment.
Once all the parts had been powder coated, the wiring sleeved, water blocks attached, and all other modifications done, it was time to assemble the entire project. Having done the assemble along the way to make sure everything fit properly, the final assembly went fairly easy.
One of the hardest parts of the entire build was sleeving. I did a lot of rewiring, including shortening cables and building my own SATA cable. It was a definite learning experience and something that you get better at the more you do it. These days they sell some nicely pre-built cables like these, or you can get a professional to do them if you have lots of money. Great experience, but not sure one I'd want to do again.
I purchased some mounting trays for the SSD & HDD, although they needed to be modified slightly to fit where I needed them. Used the old lipstick trick to line up holes. Re-used to old bay covers to create mounting points for the new custom front plate.